Last month, we've attended a Gourmet Abu Dhabi Culinary Masterclass with Chef Daniel Patterson. The session was fun and informative about food, types of ingredients available, a bit of history about his restaurant, his home in California, and most importantly his idea of food.
What we took back with us is a porridge recipe, which is rather interesting and one which I have somewhat modified here with the available ingredients we have and simplified for convenience. I've also added some protein here - chicken - to make it a savoury course, another modified recipe from my home cooking.
Here are a list of ingredients needed:
For the Porridge:
2. Chopped Garlic
3. Chopped Mushroom & Carrots
5. Mushroom Stock
6. Salt and Pepper
7. Chopped Onions
For the Chicken
1. Chicken Meat (with bone)
2. Shitake Mushroom
4. Garlic & Onions
5. Oil & Butter
6. Chicken Stock
- Heat Butter in Pan - very slow fire and let it melt gradually
- When Butter melted, pour in chopped garlic & Onions
- Pour in mushroom and Carrots
- Add salt to taste
- Rest on slow heat to keep warm
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the rice grain, but not too fine. This will help to release some of the starch and smoothen the texture of the porridge.
- In another pot, pour in rice with water & mushroom stock - boil slow
- Add mix of butter, garlic, onions, mushroom and carrots into the pot of water&rice
- Add adequate water to come up with porridge texture
- Boil in slow heat till the desire texture is achieved, add more water when necessary.
Shitake Mushroom Chicken:
- Boil water and soak the Shitake Mushroom for about 15 min. Removed from water, and chop them into slices.
- Chop up potatoes in small cubes
- Heat up pan in medium fire
- Add butter/oil
- Saute Onions and Garlic
- Add chicken and saute till brown
- Add water + chicken stock
- Add potatoes and chopped shitake mushroom
- Boil in slow fire till water becomes thick and well cooked - approx 15-20 min
Serve both warm. Easy and enjoyable!