Sunday, April 3, 2011

Montblanc William Faulkner Review, Writers Edition 2007











“Very well sir, we can give you with the same discount as our other branch,” Molly (not her real name) hangs up the phone with her manager, she stood behind a display desk waiting for my answer after much debate with me on the various discount scale the MB boutiques are offering throughout the nation now.

“I see,” I was trying to contain my excitement and not look like a fool, giving the moment enough pause before I pull the trigger. You must understand, I was savoring the feel of achievement of not only being able to locate this particular writing instrument, but was able to convince the seller to agree to a bargain. Naturally I’m a shy negotiator and not a very good one at that, always making sure my queries for a discount or sale is out of the audible range of the crowd. “I’ll take it”.

Molly’s smile turn wider and heard towards to locked glass cabinet to reach for the William Faulkner.

“What’s the size of the nib may I know?” I just had to ask, even though I already have an idea, just to keep my mouth moving and my drool from falling.

“It’s a fine nib, sir” Molly passed the pen to me while reaching for the box and opening drawers, producing the warranty cards and receipt books, getting ready to package the only display piece left of this writing instrument perhaps within the radius of 500miles. I inspected the piece, cold to the touch for the first time and feeling the nice weight of metal and resin. I noticed that the pen has been touched before, perhaps by previous potential buyers or it has been moved about by the staff without the use of gloves, and has not been wiped frequent enough to bring out the shine within. It’s ok, daddy’s here now….

APPREARANCE AND DESIGN: 8

I’ve not always been interested in a pen than has more than one dominating material. Before this, I could only look at black resin or lacquer and perhaps one or two pen which could be tastefully done celluloid. Now, I’m growing into marble texture resin/lacquer or precious metal pens. William Faulkner seems to be successful in using multiple materials and creates a great combination of platinum fittings and cast resin.
The scored line surface on the platinum surface gives a grip to the pen, not too rough, while the resin ends on the cap and piston knob is a pleasure to look at up close. A fine metallic sheen on the greenish/brownish marble-like resin can be seen when light is shined on and it is just pleasing to watch. The dome Mont Blanc emblem on the cap, reminiscence of a classic design touch, with its ivory color just adds the exquisite touch to it. The simple clip design looks elegant and simple, suggesting that one should carry this regularly and not always kept in the study.


CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY: 9

The pen feels like it can take on a daily activity and can be used as an everyday pen. The simple and elegant design along with the used of multiple materials such as platinum plate and resin, gives it elegance and the simple aesthetic which looks straightforward and functional gives it a feel of robustness. All the rings and joints between different materials are well constructed, without any trace of misalignment as far as the naked eyes can see and even the resin quality seems to be of a higher grade (I do not know much about the chemistry behind it, but it sure feels good). I feel I can take it out with me all day and not being too worried about it.


WEIGHT AND DIMENSION: 8

Personally I feel like the pen is neither too big nor too small and well balanced. Just like my first WE, I enjoy writing it without being capped and a lot of the weight is on the cap. It is smaller than the 149 and my WE Mark Twain. I took it to work today and doesn’t seem to be too heavy to be placed on my pocket, and the shorter length is just right for my shirt pocket, touching the end at the right length. Shorter than a 149, and perhaps closer to a 146.




NIB AND PERFORMANCE:7.5

The only one available is with a fine nib, which I was actually looking forward to . My plans is to have at least one F nib in my small WE collection. However, as I began to start writing, the F nib is rather thick for what it is. It is almost as thick, if not the same thickness, as my medium nib Mark Twain. Not that I am complaining but my expectation was to have a fine nib and hope that it would to behave like one. Nonetheless, the nib works flawlessly with some minor to medium feedback, which I rather like in a pen like this. A well grinded nib such as this that flows effortlessly with some mild feedback gives it a character. I love the Caran d’Ache M nib that has the similar quality and this pen is highly likely to be in my regular rotation. Also it is worthy to mention the beautifully crafted image of an aircraft on the nib reflects his love for flying machines, one of the few duo-tone nibs of the WE collection. This is one of the most beautiful nibs in the collection, in my opinion.


FILLING SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE 8

Yet another trusty MB piston system. The piston knob is a resin part (which I really like) and split from the body separated by a platinum ring, revealing the brass screw component. There is no way to tell how much is in the barrel but one can feel the difference in weight after it has been filled. Filling was easy and I could only look forward to adventure when this bird is all fueled up.


COST AND VALUE 8

I bought this during a promotion by Mont Blanc that gives an exceptional 30% discount on almost all of the WE series. That gives me tremendous value and be able to stretch my budget to more pens. This is a new pen, straight from the display box, and knowing that it is a limited edition , that kind of bargain is hard to beat.


OVERALL 8.08

There are only a handful of the WE that I’m interested in and William Faulkner is one of them. I am particularly fond of straight barrels and large dome or flat emblems on the caps and William Faulkner fits the description. I have acquired both the Mark Twain and this in a short span of time and though MT proves to be a bliss of a writing instrument, I find myself more drawn to the WF as a more regular pen. Its not too flashy, exceptionally well built, writes great and full of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment